How To Properly Resign
Congratulations! Now that you have accepted a new job, the last thing you need to do is resign. Here are some helpful tips:
When should you resign?
You should resign the same day that you receive your written confirmation of the offer you have verbally accepted.
How should you resign?
Always submit your resignation in writing to avoid any possible misunderstandings.
- Focus on the positive opportunity you've been offered with your new company.
- Your former employer might try to pressure you into taking a counter offer, but stand firm with your decision. Remember that the reasons you chose to look for a new job have not changed.
- Do not feel pressured to give reasons for resigning.
- Simply state that you have been presented with an opportunity that you cannot pass up and that you hope your decision is respected.
- You do not need to tell them where you are going, what your title is, or what your compensation is. o Be professional, courteous and confident about your decision. DO NOT appear unsure of your decision. Be firm.
- Two weeks notice is the professional standard.